Saturday 28th July | Cantieri Culturali alla Zisa, Palermo
ACTIONCONSTRAINT II, by Andrea Cusumano and Thibault Delferiere, was performed in the Cantieri Culturali alla Zisa in Palermo. The piece is an action painting that takes the form of a contest between the two performers – who are both accomplished painters and artists in their own right – in which their physical struggle creates the central artwork.
The performance involved action painting, and is a progression from previous work that Thibault and Andrea have been doing together – there was a version of it performed outside the Library at Goldsmiths in London before – though this was a very different piece in many ways.
The space was laid out with a large canvas in the centre, lit from the four corners, and surrounded by three musicians. There were two smaller canvases to each side of the room. The two performers/painters worked with a dynamic of contest/opposing physical force that was productive of a common creation. This is especially fascinating to watch because Thibault’s control over his movements is changed noticeably by having a physical force to work against, and his body seems constantly transformed by the interactions. The action of the piece and the interaction between the two performers slowly builds up an imprint of their actions on the central canvas.
In the end, both work together to cut out and hoist the canvas up to be seen vertically and leave the space.
- Richard III | Schaubühne Berlin - January 2, 2017
- La voix humaine | Toneelgroep Amsterdam - April 17, 2016
- Ravens, We Shall Load Bullets | Yukio Ninagawa - November 17, 2014
- Watch Me Fall | Action Hero - October 31, 2014
- Attempts on Her Life | Hong Kong Rep - July 29, 2014
- 嘈之家閉 | Applied Drama Centre (with Adrian Jackson) - June 23, 2014
- Seventh Sense | Anarchy Dance Theatre - June 13, 2014
- iTMOi | Akram Khan Company - April 11, 2014
- The Drowned Man | Punchdrunk - September 11, 2013
- Euripides’ Iphigenia in Aulis | Maria Protopappa - August 6, 2013